Friday, May 24, 2013

Dolphin Daze

For reasons unbeknown to me, I have always loved dolphins. As a kid I had a pair of gold dolphin earrings I always wore, I had a dolphin Barbie toy that I loved and on a family vacation to Hawaii I got to swim with them, which was pretty much a dream come true for me. So when my friend Ben, who's an oceanography major, asked if I wanted to tag along to a dolphin research session he was helping with last week I happily agreed.

Autumn day in Australia

Mornington Beach, Melbourne

Prime dolphin-spotting location!

Strolling on the beach

The volunteers, hard at work

Ben and binoculars

Not a bad end to the day.

They only saw one dolphin all day, which of course I missed when I took a break to walk along the beach. Still, a sunny day spent by the sea, binoculars in hand, helping search for one of my favourite animals... it could be worse.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

woo mornington!! :)

Wondering and Wandering said...

You betcha! Taking your advice left right and center!