Saturday, November 3, 2012

Sick.

It's official, my immune system has been compromised. It was bound to happen sometime!

Over the past week I've exhibited almost every vague symptom in the book (fever, sore throat, cough, runny nose) but they would come and go, so every time I thought I was better I would go out and exert myself probably a little too much, and become sick again. 

On Friday night my fever had once again become quite high so I went to bed early. I woke up 12 hours later thinking I was really all better this time, so I spent the afternoon showing two new volunteer teachers around town by bicycle. We were on our way back to (more specifically, about 30 seconds away from) the guesthouse when we stopped to buy coconuts, and all of a sudden I became incredibly dizzy and started seeing spots. I actually had to sit down on the side of the road and wait for the feeling to pass. It eventually did, and I returned to the guesthouse to lie down. About 20 minutes later I started throwing up and that's when I decided it was time to go to the hospital.

My visit to the Royal Angkor International Hospital was quite pleasant, considering I hate hospitals. The staff spoke very good English and the whole thing took no more than an hour and a half. I got a blood test and nose swab to rule out anything serious (ie. dengue fever) and it turns out I have nothing more than a cold and pharyngitis (throat infection). Some antibiotics and $340 USD later (which my insurance provider should be reimbursing me for!) and I was on my way. Should be good as new in a few days.

Being sick in a foreign country is definitely not fun. You don't get to stay in your own bed, wear your own worn-out sweatpants, be around people you know very well (although for the record everyone here was absolutely lovely) or eat your comfort sick food (which for me is packets of Lipton's noodle soup). You have to make do with what you have. But at the end of the day, you're a little bit tougher and traveling is still 100% worth it.

1 comment:

mom said...

For the record , chicken noodle soup is on the way - hope it reaches you in Siem Reap. Glad you found your first bout of illness short-lived - hope its your last.